Hints to accessing the linking books to the four ages of Myst are all found in the tower. The map in the library rotates the tower to reveal each of the four hints. To enter the tower click on the painting of the bookshelves in the library.
From the tower, the access keys are 2:40 and 2, 2, 1. To open the gateway, go to the clock tower at the west end of Myst Island. (The clock tower is out in the water.) Set the time to 2:40 to activate the steps. Then go inside the tower and set the mechanism to 2, 2, 1 (descending order). Note that pulling and holding the left lever will cause just the middle gear to rotate.
In the Mechanical Age, the key to getting back to Myst lies in understanding the island rotation mechanism. In Achenar's chamber look for the rotation simulator to learn how the controls work. Then take the elevator up to the controls. Operate the controls to access the north and east podiums, each of which contains half of the combination unlocking the Myst linking book.
- The blue and red pages are in the side chambers to the left and right of Sirrus and Achenar's thrones.
- To open the gateway to the return linking book, dial in the following
combination. (The combination is found by visiting the two podiums.)
From the tower, the combination to the tree elevator safe is 7, 2, 4. Strike a match and use the lit match to light the furnace. Turn up the furnace until the elevator tree moves up highest it can go. Then turn down the furnace until the tree starts dropping down. Quickly board the elevator when level with the floor.
- Take the elevator next to the winding staircase to get to Sirrus and Achenar's quarters. The red page found in Sirrus' bedside table and the blue page in Achenar's bedroom.
- Diagram of 1st level plumbing showing two-way valves and water powered
devices. Toggle valves to power up various devices and access different
locations. To access the Myst linking book, raise the submersible bridge
and extend the retracting pipe. Apply power to the 1st level elevator to
access the 2nd level. On the 2nd level unlock the winding staircase.
Apply power to the 2nd level elevator. Use the winding staircase to
access the elevator to the 2nd level.
- Map of second level. The elevator on the left goes up to Sirrus and
Achenar's quarters. The elevator on the right goes down to the 1st level.
The dotted line indicates the location of the switch that unlocks the door
to the winding staircase.
To raise the sailing ship, first get the following dates from the tower on Myst Island.
Oct 11, 1984 10:04 AM
Jan 17, 1207 5:46 AM
Nov 23, 9791 6:57 PM
Leaf (Oct 11, 1984 10:04 AM)
Snake (Jan 17, 1207 5:46 AM)
Beetle (Nov 23, 9791 6:57 PM)
- To power the lights, drain the light house, go downstairs, drain the chest (and close the spigot), back fill with water (which floats the chest), open chest, get key, open overhead lock, and crank the generator.
- The blue page found on Achenar's bed and the red page on Sirrus' dresser.
- To access the return linking book, turn on the underwater light. Use the telescope to get the bearing to the light house. Then set the underground compass rose to the same 135 degrees.
From the tower, the key is 59 volts. To activate the rocket ship set the power generators to 59 volts.
On the rocket ship set the
tone generator to the corresponding notes on the organ keyboard diagram
(found in Selenitic Age descriptive book in the library).
- The blue page found at the crystal pipes microphone and the red page at the water well microphone.
- To open the underground maze, set the maze entrance sliders to: pipe, water, wind, volcano, clock (left to right). Obtain this sequence by going to the sound control tower. Align each sound symbol with its correct sound. Then press the sum button.
- To get through the maze go: Forward to start, N, W, N, E, E, S, S, W, SW, W, NW, NE, N, SE to end and exit car.
- Map of Selenitc Age Underground Railway
To access the D'ni linking book, in the library, go inside the fireplace and activate the lock mechanism. Sirus and Achenar provide clues to the pattern, shown below, that unlocks the fireplace lock.
The location of the missing page is given by two halves of a note, each
half found in a different age. Putting the two halves together gives
the location of the page missing from the D'ni linking book page.
realMyst includes an additional age, Rime, which can
be linked to and explored like the other ages of Myst. The Age of Rime
also appears in Myst IV, Revelation.
In the library look for the Rime descriptive book. If you have already
linked to D'ni, the book will be on the floor near the entrance. Otherwise,
look for the book in the lower right hand corner of the bookshelves. Look
in the descriptive book for hints on how to find the Rime linking book.
- To access the Rime linking book, first go to the imager found in the underground room next to the stoneship dock. Dial in '40', push the front button to turn on the imager, then go around to the rear of the imager, and push the rear button. The control panel will lower to reveal a diagram of the Selenitic Age rocket ship. On the diagram, along the ramp to the rocket ship, note the symbol indicating that one of the balustrades has a secret opening. Click the symbol to open the secret door to the Rime linking book combination lock.
Once you have been to D'ni, the last page of the descriptive book shows (in
cyan colored ink) the combination that opens the Rime linking book's secret
place in the library:
- After linking to Rime, located near the outside wall of the
building, find the gas valve and turn it on. Go inside
and turn on the furnace - the door to the tunnel can now be opened.
Go to the elevator and press the up button. When the elevator reaches
the second level, press the red button located to the left (when facing
the elevator door). Press the down button; when the elevator reaches
the first level the door will open to allow access to the imager room.
The solution to the imager puzzle is found in the note located on the
desk to the left of the imager.